When Ty Grows Up...
I've got some pretty big dreams for my kid! Before I really knew much about the possibilities that are out there for people with Down Syndrome, I honestly wasn't sure what my dreams for my child would be anymore. Watching Ty grow up though, I've realized that he has so many talents, and opportunities are out there for him, whenever he is ready. One of my favorite books that I have read about Down Syndrome is called, Common Threads: Celebrating Life With Down Syndrome by Cynthia S. Kidder and Brian Skotko. While the stories and photography are beautiful, my favorite sections of the book are the ones that give real-life statistics about the talents, interests, and hobbies of children with Down Syndrome. They only confirm my visions of Ty's future, assuring me that my dreams for him are in fact possible. When Ty grows up...
I hope that he will have good friends to play with, get into a little trouble with, and who make him laugh. I look forward to birthday parties, sleepovers, messes, and playdates!
*1 out of 5 children with DS (younger than 10) talk with friends on the phone more than 3 times a week*
I hope that he plays sports in some form, whether it's recreationally, in school, or for the Special Olympics, so I can be the proud Momma on the sidelines cheering him on like a maniac!
*2 out of 5 children with DS (older than 10) play on an integrated sports team*
I hope that he puts his musical talent to good use in some form or another. A kid can't have that good rhythm, and not let the world know about it!
*1 out of 5 children with DS (younger than 10) play a musical instrument. For children older than 10, the number is doubled*
*1 out of 5 children with DS (younger than 10), and 1 out of 3 children with DS (older than 10) sing in a choir or group*
I hope that he finds a beautiful girl to love. I look forward to his first dance, first date, and first dance with his Momma at his wedding one day.
*2 out of 3 children with DS (older than 10) have a boyfriend or girlfriend*
I hope that he loves reading when he's older, as much as he does now.
*7 out of 10 children with DS (older than 10) read books for personal enjoyment*
I hope that he develops a loving, trusting relationship with his future siblings. I can't wait for the day when I can watch them run together in the backyard, explore the woods, and ride their bikes around the neighborhood.
*95% of siblings to children with DS are reported to have a good relationship with each other by their parents*
*84% of siblings to children with DS are reported to be more caring and sensitive to others by their parents*
*97% of siblings ages 9-11 said they love their brother/sister with DS*
(data quoted from a recent study conducted by Dr. Brian Skotko)
I hope that he grows up to be a productive member of society, working a job that makes him happy.
*1 out of 2 adults with DS works in a nonsheltered workplace*
I hope that he is able to experience independence as an adult, living where he is safe, comfortable, and content. Hopefully, as his parents we will teach him housekeeping skills, cooking skills, and financial management skills that he will carry into adulthood.
*1 out of 5 adults with DS lives on his or her own*
Above all else, my dream for Ty is that he grows up to have confidence in who he is, and is happy with the life he has lived.
*99% of people with DS said they were happy with their lives*
*97% of people with DS said they like who they are*
(data quoted from a recent study conducted by Dr. Brian Skotko)
Aren't these dreams that all parents have for their children??? Granted, some of my dreams for Ty have changed as I've seen where his interests lie (this is a boy who clearly loves sports, dancing, and books!), but I don't know another parent who doesn't wish happiness, independence, and love for their child. What an amazing journey I have ahead of me as I get to watch this boy grow!

Kerry, I'm as proud of you as you are of Ty! What a wonderful ride this has been.
ReplyDeleteoooh I love the statistics!
ReplyDeleteKerry- Thank you so much for posting this! My friend who went to college with you shared it with me because she knew I would like it. My Max, due in December, has Down Syndrome. We have known since a few days after we saw the 'double bubble' on the 20 week ultrasound. When we heard the chance of DS was 1 in 3, we decided to find out ahead of time with an amnio. The first couple weeks were the hardest, but we are ready now and can't wait to meet him :) So far things are looking OK health-wise. The echocardiogram was clean, so we’re not worried about his heart, but we know he has an intestinal blockage that will require bypass surgery at birth (in Lebanon), and we think he could have a cleft lip and will watch for Hirschsprung's Disease in his first couple weeks of life. This is going to be an adventure!!
ReplyDelete