Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

To Ty, On Your First Day of Kindergarten

Dear my sweetest, most handsome Ty,

Today is your first day of kindergarten - the very first day of a 12-year journey that will take you right into adulthood.  How did we get here?!  Wasn't it just a few months ago that we took that snail-paced drive home from the hospital to begin our life together??  Every milestone that seemed to take f.o.r.e.v.e.r to reach; every first - your first smile, first step, first graham cracker; and every mundane moment that taught me how to be a parent...how is it possible that those years are now behind us and we're about to begin this next chapter??

As you start this new journey in your life I hope you know how proud you make us.  Can you feel the pride that we feel when we look at you?  I hope so, because sometimes it's so great that I feel like I might burst.  The determination that you have to be independent, the persistence you show when you are learning a new skill, and the strength that you have to keep growing as an individual is nothing short of inspiring.  These qualities will serve you well as you continue to learn and grow on this new adventure.

Some days on this journey are going to be tough, though.  You are going to be asked to stretch your brain just a little bit further, try new things, and be brave when those new things feel scary.  On these days, just remember that your family will be waiting at home to give you the hug that you need and the push that you need to keep on going.  Because really, we know you can do it; and it's the tough days that will allow you to grow the most.

While we're talking about the tough stuff, let's talk about the other kids.  You are going to meet all sorts of new kids and adults in this journey of yours.  Some will even become great friends!  These are the ones who like you for who you are and treat you with the kindness that you deserve.
But there will also be kids who will not become your friend, who might even say or do things that might not be very nice.  Just remember that you are worthy of friends who do make you feel happy - stick with those friends and you will be a-okay.  Above all though, I hope that you are a good friend to others.  Remember that other people don't define you - YOU define you.  The way that you act, react and treat others defines your character.  That's a big one - always remember that.


Well, Ty, as I count down the minutes until you walk off that bus, I hope this first day of your new journey is everything that I imagine for you.  I hope you are feeling loved by your teachers; I hope you had a friend to sit next to during snack; and I hope you are learning a new song that you can't wait to come home and sing to me.  Whatever this day brings - whatever this journey brings - just know that we are with you every step of the way.

Love,
Your Biggest Fans
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck little trooper. You are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete