Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lots to Be Thankful For!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Before I begin this post, I have to send you to another blog to put you in the thanksgiving spirit.  A woman, who I only know from a distance in my online Down syndrome community, has put together a beautiful, beautiful tribute to our children for Thanksgiving.  It will remind you what Thanksgiving, and being thankful, is really about!  (And yes, Ty is included, as well!)    Here it is:   Thankful For You

I've been thinking a lot about what I'm thankful for this year...mainly because I've been asked on more than one occasion recently!  It's got me thinking about how much has changed in the past 365 days, and how far we have come.  Ty has grown into a strong, healthy, vivacious little toddler, and things are good...like really, really good.  In particular, this year I am thankful for...

* Ty's health.  This exact week last year Ty was hospitalized for bronchiolitis.  Since that time, he has not had one incident where he had trouble breathing...not one.  We are so fortunate that he continues to grow strong and healthy.

* The milestones Ty has reached in just 12 months.  Last year he wasn't yet sitting; this year he is nearly walking.  Last year he spit out his turkey baby food; this year he will eat the entire meal, all by himself.  Last year he had just started babbling; this year he has 30+ words in his vocabulary (spoken and signed), and uses them appropriately.  It's just been amazing watching him learn.

* Our families, who have been more than supportive this year, from moving to a new house, to offering free babysitting services, to celebrating all of Ty's accomplishments. It helps a lot!


* My fabulous husband.  Eric keeps me from stressing too much, and makes me smile. He's the perfect partner for me to be going through life with.

* The opportunity to stay home with Ty every day.  It's not always easy financially to be a stay at home mom, but man is it worth it.  No one could pay me to miss another minute of Ty's toddlerhood.

* The Down syndrome community.  From playgroups that we attend, to large online communities, I have met people around the world who are sharing in this same journey.  We have made some wonderful friends, who I can't imagine not having in our lives now.


* My friends.  Not many adults can say they are still close with their childhood friends.  I am so fortunate to have numerous friends who I have known for 15-20 years, who know me well, and are always there.  And of course the friends who I haven't known quite as long, but are just as supportive.  I'm so, so lucky to have all of them!

* My friend Stephanie.  She is one of the above-mentioned friends, but has become my pregnancy buddy and mom buddy in recent years.  I am thankful for our frequent walks and talks, our sons' friendship, and the little girl who she is about to bring into the world!  It gives me a bit of sanity having her so close! :-)

* Our new house.  Exactly a year ago this month, we bought our little ranch in the town where I grew up.  We are finally settled, happy, and comfortable in our new location. 

* New days.  Even though therapies and medical appointments can get tough, Ty's bright smile and energy always remind me that it's a new day, and there's something to celebrate.  It's a good attitude to go through life with!


And of course, I can't end this post without sharing Ty's list as well.  He openly shows what it is that he loves, and it's easy to see how much he is grateful for every day!

* Mom, Dad, Toby, and Nick (our dogs, his "brothers")
* His family...grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins
* Strawberries and graham crackers
* Music...ohhh he's SO grateful for music!
* Words
* Books
* A wonderful therapist who doesn't give up on him! 

So thank you for reading, thank you for supporting Ty, and thank you for being in our lives!  Happy Thanksgiving!  What are YOU thankful for????     

No comments:

Post a Comment