Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Ty Turns 5



Today my first baby turns 5.  Ty's birthday every year brings back memories of his unique entrance into the world - the challenges, surprises, and overwhelming love that accompanied his tiny 6 pound self into our lives.  His first birthday was a celebration of making it through that first year - the hundreds of doctors and therapy appointments, and the realization that he was going to be just fine.

Now, at five years old, it seems like we've reached another milestone in Ty's journey.  Our baby is becoming a little boy.  He has defied the odds and predictions once laid out about his life, and has stomped a path in a direction all his own.  At five years old, Ty is fiercely independent.  If there's a chance he can do it on his own, he will.  His curiosity and desire to learn just shine.  His mind is quick and creative.  Just tonight, I was playing a game of "memory" against Ty with his sight words on the iPad.  I wish I could say I was letting him win, but I wasn't - he was just as excited to see me get matches as he was to find them himself, so why would I deprive him of that joy?!  But...he won.  That kid's visual memory is incredible.  At this point in time, on the cusp of kindergarten, Ty is beginning to read "level As" and picks up new words daily.  To my surprise, he has also shown that he is beginning to sound out words letter-by-letter, and can spell his most familiar sight words from memory.  He recently finally learned to write his name (T-y was the best name we could have given him!), and he's working SO hard at learning to write the alphabet.  He knows his first and last names and kindly refers to us as "Kerry and Eric" (only when he really needs our attention of course).  Ty knows every word to every Thomas song ever written, and his dance moves have never been better.   He is absolutely soaring.

A quote in a book that I'm reading talks about the ability to "go with the flow" -

"maybe that happens when you've been through a lot. all of your edges are worn off, like sea            glass. either that, or you shatter" - Holly Goldberg Sloan

I'd like to think Ty has helped me become more like sea glass.  With all we've been through together, the edges have worn down and we are now able to roll with the punches and see what life has in store.  Ty's path so far has gone in directions that we had never before predicted, and every milestone that he reaches is a celebration of this amazing little person who entered our lives five years ago.




Happy, happy birthday to my first baby, who is so quickly growing up before my eyes!   May all of your wishes (likely of trains and music and silliness) come true! 

No comments:

Post a Comment