Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy 2nd Birthday to My Little T-Bug!!!

*When I look into your eyes*
*It's like watching the night sky*
*Or a beautiful sunrise*
*There's so much they hold*
*I see that you've come so far*
*To be right where you are*
- Jason Mraz

 
Birthdays are extra-special for parents of children with Down syndrome.  Not only is it a time to celebrate the day the child was born, but it's a day to celebrate how far our children have come, how many odds they've defied, and how bright their futures are...all of the things that were feared wouldn't happen before they were born.  For us, Ty's birthday is no different.  Come January, I start thinking about how we'll celebrate his special day, and I also start thinking about everything he's accomplished since his last birthday.  It grounds me, forces me to remember what a birthday is really about, beyond the balloons, and cake, and gifts.  
 
This year, I have 366 exciting days worth of accomplishments to reflect on.  I'm astounded at the little boy Ty has grown up to be.  Every day has brought about something that is picture-worthy, something that makes me say, "ooh, I need to remember this!"  It's been an incredibly rewarding, and just plain fun ride. 

This is the year that Ty learned to crawl, learned to walk, and learned to speak his first words in both sign and spoken language.  He conquered the spoon and fork to become an independent eater.  New adventures included his first parade, first swim, first day at the beach, first apple picking outing, and first sled-ride.  He learned how to say "please" really, really slowly with a smile, to get exactly what he wants.  Graham crackers became his first love.  He learned the joy of watching a movie, and learned how to read many new sight words.  He can complete a puzzle independently, and build a tower out of blocks.  Hugs include wrapping both arms and legs around your body and holding on for dear life.  And he learned the excitement that independence can bring.

So happy 2nd birthday, Ty-Ty!  You make your mommy and daddy so proud each and every day.  We could not have asked for a more perfect first child and cannot wait to see what your third year of life will bring! 

1 comment: